Feb 092015

Pictured below are most of the popular diamond cuts. Round  is not shown because it’s shape is obvious, but it accounts for a whopping 80% of all diamonds sold.  All the other cuts put together equal only 20% of all diamonds sold.   A round cut is by far the most brilliant of all, and if cut well, the only one which will keep 80% of its sparkle when dirty.  All other fancy shapes will loose a minimum of 40 to 60% of their sparkle when dirty.  A round cut is usually 7 to 20% more expensive than most other fancy shapes because of this and other factors. As far as resale or trade in value , a round is by far the best cut for value retention.  When shopping for fancy shape diamonds a person might notice a even larger than 7 to 20 % difference in price compared to rounds, as example a cushion cut 1ct. SI1-H quality might sell for 30 to 50% less,  etc.  This is not due to just the shape, it is usually due to a too deep or too shallow of a cut. A poorly cut a diamond will still look fine when perfectly clean and with tons of light shining on it, but when you get a cheap diamond home under regular lighting and get it a little dirty, it will die and loose most of its sparkle. They end up looking like a fake does when it gets dirty, and this is truly why it has a much lower price.  All the diamonds in the photos are extremely well cut examples and will only get more areas of a watery appearance or areas where there is no light being reflected back to your eye when the cut becomes lower and lower quality.

diamond cuts

 Posted by at 5:51 pm
Feb 092015

Jewelry stampings, P4SR stamp, what does it mean?

p4sr ring

This and other odd stampings in American jewelry  are non-traditional weird mixes of metals which enable the manufacture of what looks like gold or platinum metal, but with a unproven much less valuable metal mixture.  I say unproven because there is no track record to see if it can be repaired and/or worked with, if it is color stable, or chemically reactive (will it last or corrode or discolor).  The mixtures were not publicized, and many are still held secret. This does not add any confidence to the reason for the creation of the metal, other than to mislead consumers about the value of what they are purchasing.  So far most mixtures have a pathetically low percent of gold or platinum.  P4SR for example is 1 to 3% gold or platinum plus or minus a pinch and 80% silver with a couple of other cheap metals added into the brew.  In America gold is usually stamped 10k (41.7% pure gold), 14k (58.5%), 18k (75% pure), whereas platinum is either 950 (95% pure) or 900 (90% pure) and sterling silver is stamped 925 (92.5% pure silver).  All other unusual stamps and stamps with the k in the wrong position, or stamps inside a box, etc. should be suspect if made or sold in North America.

 Posted by at 5:36 pm
Oct 172014

I just finished with a customer who inherited a 1ct. diamond and thought she was doing well by taking it to two jewelers for their opinion on quality and value. Both said it was a fantastic stone worth about nine thousand dollars and showed it to her under the microscope, pointing out only one small [...]

 Posted by at 9:48 pm
Jul 112013

Certified diamonds are great, but WHO is the diamond certified by? Find out which companies are HONEST, and which ones to stay away from.